Friday, December 25, 2009

Discuss the historical significance of Frederick Douglass speech, The Meaning of July Fourth for the Negro." Discuss the historical significance...

You
know, all I could think about when I read your question was a scene from
Roots.  (Isn't it sad that I can't remember if the same scene is actually
in Haley's written account, ... the auditory of this particular scene really stuck with me for
some reason.)  All of the plantation owners and their families are all whoopin' and hollerin'
about the Declaration of Independence and Fiddler (the wonderful man who has befriended the
slave Kunta Kinte) says something dripping with sarcasm, "Oh, yeah.  I'm so glad all of
these white folks be free!  That's just what we be needin':  free white folks!"  Fiddler
puts a finger on just the issue.  Why should those seen as slaves celebrate the formation of the
country enslaving them?  Good point!  And further, the of it all hit me
like a ton of bricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...