Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What is the falling point in Pygmalion?

I would
say it comes shortly after thein Act IV, when Henry suggests that Liza essentially prostitute
herself by marrying a rich man if she can find no other means of support.Liza has gained more
than a large vocabularly; she has gained self-respect.She shoots back at Henry: "I sold
flowers. I didn't sell myself. Now you've made a lady of me I'm not fit to sell anything
else."

After Liza returns the ring Henry had given her and he throws it
into the fireplace, things are winding down, thus the "falling action."Act V will be
the actual , with Liza deciding that she will marry, but also teach phoentics, thus asserting
her independence but also securing a more comfortable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...