Sunday, August 4, 2013

What do you like or dislike about "The Tyger," by William Blake?

It is
difficult to put elements of "" into "like/dislike" categories, a process
which oversimplifies a complex poem. That being said, I like the language of the poem. For
example:

And what shoulder, & what art,
Could
twist the sinews of thy heart?

I find "twist the
sinews of thy heart" a powerful image because it packs so much into very few words. First,
I get a strong visual image of God as a blacksmith with powerful arms twisting the
"metal" that makes the tiger's heart. This is a "touch" image as well as a
sight image to me: I can feel the painful twisting motion. Further, the word...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...