Saturday, August 27, 2016

In act 4, How does Eliza react to the men?

In Act 4,
Professor Higgins and Colonel Pickering delight in their successes.  The have effectively
transformed Eliza from a cockney flower girl, to a beautiful lady.  As they toast their success
and delight in what they've done, they forget to take into account any of the work Eliza has put
into the experiment.  They do not notice that she is visibly upset and crying "what is to
become of me?"

She knows that things will not be the same for her.  In
her new state she cannot return to life as a flower girl, but she does not have the means to
continue life in this manner.  As Higgins offers that her solution is to "marry well"
she becomes more distraught and upset with him

"I
sold flowers. I didn't sell myself. Now you've made a lady of me I'm not fit to sell anything
else."

She returns all of the jewels he gave her and
leaves Higgins' house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...