Monday, September 3, 2018

How does Poe add tension to "The Pit and the Pendulum?" Use text examples to support your analysis.

One
way that Poe is able to build tension in
the "Pit in the Pendulum" is by making the
narrator of the story the victim
andof the story.  It's written in first person, so the reader
only knows as
much as the narrator.  Sadly, the narrator, and by consequence the reader,
knows
very little.  The vagueness and absence of detail is done by having the
narrator swooning in and
out of a stable state of mind.  For example, one
minute he sees candles, the next he sees
angels, and then everything fades
out again.    

And then
my vision fell
upon the seven tall candles upon the table. At first they wore the aspect of

charity, and seemed white slender angels who would save me; but then, all at once, there
came a
most deadly nausea over my spirit, and I felt every fibre in my frame
thrill as if I had touched
the wire of a galvanic battery, while the angel
forms became meaningless spectres, with heads of
flame, and I saw that from
them there would be no help.


Soon
after...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...