Tuesday, December 11, 2018

How is George resentful of Lennie? What does George wish he could do?

Ifwere a
childcould look forward to having him
grow up and take care of himself. But Lennie is an adult
with a child's mind.
He seems destined to become a permanent responsibility and burden. As

illustrated in the Weed incident, Lennie is creating more problems for George than had
been the
case before. It is evident in Chapter One that George is becoming
wearied and bewildered by his
burden. In an angry outburst at the campsite he
tells Lennie:


God a'mighty, if I was
alone I could live so easy. I could go get a job an' work, an'
no trouble. No
mess at all, and when the end of the month come I could take my fifty bucks
and
go into town and get whatever I want. Why, I could stay in a cat house
all night. I could eat
any place I want, hotel or any place, and order any
damn thing I could think of. An' I could do
all that every damn month. Get a
gallon of whisky, or set in a poolroom and play cards or shoot
pool....An'
whatta I got,...I got you! You can't keep a job and you lose me ever' job I
get.
Jus' keep me shovin' all over the country all the time. An' that ain't
the worst. You get in
trouble. You do bad things and I got to get you
out."


On the other hand, George is
used to having Lennie with him. George may realize that he
wouldn't really
like being alone. He sees that most itinerant agricultural workers are loners

and that they are not to be envied. The sort of life he describes in his angry tirade is
a
dead-end life. He would be working hard all month and then blowing all his
money on cheap
whiskey and other specious pleasures. Furthermore, he realizes
that Lennie is good-hearted and
loyal. When Lennie offers to go away and live
in a cave, George regrets his outburst. Obviously
he has a severe internal
conflict regarding Lennie. He would like to be free, but he doesn't
want to
be alone. Besides, the two men share a dream of attaining freedom and independence
by
owning a little subsistence farm. He never resolves that conflict by
himself, but he is forced
to resolve it when Lennie kills Curley's wife in
the barn and then flees the
scene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...