Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Please give examples of theme and style in Marilyn Dumont's poem "Not Just a Platform for My Dance."

The most
important rhetorical device used in
Marilyn Dumonts poem Not Just a Platform For My Dance is
repetition. The line
this land is not is used in half of the eight stanzas and is prevalent in

both the first and the last. It is important when analyzing poetry to identify who the
speaker
is; it is also significant to note that the speaker and the author
are not automatically the
same entity.

The speaker in
this poem is evidently someone who loves their
land. The word land likely
refers to their country or a specified area. We know they love
their land
because of the repeated line this land is not. If the speaker is someone who
did
not care about the land, they would not place so much emphasis on it. In
addition, the use of
the word my is important. The stanza this land is / my
tongue my eyes my mouth and the
phrases my prayer, my medicine, and the
others in which the speaker uses the word
my...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...