Tuesday, May 12, 2015

What does the narrative reveal about the characters's feeling toward the girl?

The young
adolescent narrator of "" develops a crush on his friend Mangan's older sister, whose
family lives where he does on North Richmond Street. He feels physically attracted to her,
watching her as

Her dress swung as she moved her body, and
the soft rope of her hair tossed from side to side.

She
becomes idealized in his mind as someone set apart. He idolizes and adores her from afar, noting
that he has hardly spoken more than a few words to her:


yet her name was like a summons to all my foolish blood


She represents romance to him. He pours into her all his intense and confused longings
and desires:

Her name sprang to my lips at moments in
strange prayers and praises which I myself did not understand. My eyes were often full of tears
(I could not tell why) and at times a flood from my heart seemed to pour itself out into my
bosom. I thought little of the future. I did not know whether I would ever speak to her or not
or, if I spoke to her, how I could tell her of my confused adoration.


He also says of her:

I
pressed the palms of my hands together until they trembled, murmuring: "O love! O
love!" many times.

The narrator has turned Mangan's
sister into a fantasy figure. As readers, we have every reason to believe she is simply a very
ordinary girl. She dresses in brown, a color associated with the narrator's dull life in Dublin,
and she lives on the same "blind" or dead end street that he does, attending a convent
school. Her speech, when she does finally talk to him, is banal as she chatters about how she
can't go to the bazaar Araby because she will be at a convent retreat, saying "It's well
for you" that he'll be home.

In his blinded and lovestruck adoration, he
promises to bring her a gift from Araby if he goes. The girl and the dreamed of bazaar, both of
which symbolize his escape to more a romantic future, merge in his mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...