Monday, December 5, 2016

Explain the significance of Hamlet's soliloquy in Act 2, scene 2, of William Shakespeare's Hamlet. (Please include literary devices.)

'sis
important for a number of reasons.

Firstly, he
made a pledge to his father's ghost to act swiftly to avenge his father's murder. In the
soliloquy,expresses anger at himself for not having yet done anything. He
compares himself to one of the visiting actors who, in acting out a
scene, expresses emotion in a profound way, causing the audience to feel what he feels even
though he has no real reason to do so. In contrast, Hamlet cannot
do the sameeven though he has all the reasons in the world to do so. The contrast makes it clear
that Hamlet believes himself a coward. He asks a number of rhetorical
questions
in this instance:

Am I a coward?
Who calls me villain? breaks my pate across? Plucks off my beard, and blows it in my face?
Tweaks me by the nose? gives me the lie i' the throat, As deep as to the lungs? who does me
this?

Hamlet states that if anyone should do these things
to mock or humiliate him for his intransigence and his weakness, he should not feel...


No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...