Friday, January 24, 2014

How does John Proctor show honesty and integrity in the play, The Crucible?

In
's , John Proctor is not a perfect man. He has has an adulterous affair
with Abigail Williams. He is aware of the implications of his actions. He has fired her from his
household and resists her efforts to lure him back into her bed.


I have a sense for heat, John, and yours has drawn me to my window, and I have seen you
looking up, burning in your loneliness...You are no wintry man. I know you, John. I know
you. She is weeping. I cannot sleep fordreamin'; I cannot dream but I wake
and walk about the house as though I'd find you comin' through some door. She clutches
him desperately
.

Of course, pushing her away
and calling her "Child" can bring nothing but anger and resentment from her. It can be
no surprise that John's wife Elizabeth is accused of witchcraft, and that John is also
ultimately accused, but John shows his integrity by ending his affair. He further demonstrates
his morality by refusing to give in to...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...