Sunday, July 3, 2016

Anti-Semitism? Do you believe there is anything anti-semitic in the naming of traitorous "friends" of Hamlet, Rosencratz and Guildenstern?

malibrarian

In reply to #13:

I truly don't know about the etymology.  I tried to
do some research, but most of the genealogy databases required subscription.  However, despite
my lack of evidence, my gut tells me that like Shylock, the roots of the names would resonate: 
Rose, Rosen, Gold (read: Guild), Stern, Stein are all common Jewish surnames.  I doubt these are
recent trends. 

I really like your insight into "Guilt," especially
since he is the one of the pair who appears to show apprehension and distaste for his orders. 
 

 

That quote is from theprior to Act
II of "Henry V," when the stage is being set for the traitors in the pay of France are
to be caught by Henry. It's one of my favorite, and definitely fits with Mr. Guildenstern!
:)

]]>

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...