Sunday, March 17, 2019

What is the difference between a society and a community?

The
difference between a society and a
community comes down to two main characteristics: size and
interaction.  A
community and a society can be any size that you want.  There isn't a

"minimum" number of people needed for either (as long as you don't take extremes
like
2-3 people).  What is generally understood as a key size difference is
that a community is
smaller than a society.  

The size
factor is of secondary importance, if you
ask me.  The level of interaction
is more important.  A society could be huge, and span hundreds
or thousands
of miles.  The population of the United States could be considered a society --
the
American society.   Within that society though are many, many smaller
communities.  The key
factor with a community is that the people within it
must have some level of
interaction with each other.
 

Let's use a city as an
example.  I live in San Diego.
 San Diegans are all part of the San Diego city and SoCal
culture.  If you
live here, you know what I mean.  That is my society.  Within that society, I

teach at a small school.  That would be a community, because there is a high level
of
interaction between me, my co-workers, and my students.  I am not part of
the accounting firm
across the city.  That's a different community of people.
 I am a member of my neighborhood
community, but I am not a member of my
brother's neighborhood community.  But I do belong to the
American society
that my brother is also a part of.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...