Saturday, June 10, 2017

How exactly is the sociopathic Meursault in The Stranger, by any sane person's definition, a "hero?"

I read
Camus' in French many years ago. I was having a horrible time getting
through French 4 because, unlike the first three French courses which I had taken at a different
school, everything was in French. The teacher lectured in French, asked questions in French to
which we had to reply in French, gave essay exams in which the questions were in French and we
were supposed to answer entirely in French.

I had to write a final essay exam
about L'Etranger in French, and my poor teacher must have been appalled by
the blue book I turned in. But the question I was trying to answer was very similar to yours,
and the answer I was trying to express was also very similar to yours.

I
couldn't sympathize with Mersault at all. I didn't understand why he should have gone back to
kill that Arab in cold blood or why anyone should offer excuses for him. Mersault's motive, it
seemed to me, was just to curry favor with the man who had been treating him as a buddy. Camus
was opposed to capital...

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...