Monday, June 26, 2017

What Does It Mean To Be A Citizen

Citizenship:
We used to teach it as a subject! We thought it was important to make students understand that
we're all in this together and everybody has a part to play. I guess we still teach the
principles of citizenship, except we call it other things, like "Value of the Week."
Rights and responsibilities . . . I can't imagine one without the other. It seems to me that
claiming rights without accepting corresponding responsibilities is selfish and egocentric. In
regard to our role as U.S. citizens, I would suggest that in a government "of the people,
by the people, and for the people," the people (that now would be you and I) had better
step up to the plate. Remember the rest of that sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How is Joe McCarthy related to the play The Crucible?

When we read its important to know about Senator Joseph McCarthy. Even though he is not a character in the play, his role in histor...